BEST Skin Rash Doctor Near Me in Durham, NC
About Skin rash
Skin rashes are common irritations of the skin can that be caused by several factors. Common symptoms of skin rash include:
- Red, inflamed skin
- Itchy skin
- Scaly, leathery, or cracking skin
- Raised red bumps
- Fluid-filled blisters
- Skin that is warm to the touch
Skin rashes may be caused by exposure to an irritant, pathogen, or allergen. They may also be caused by an underlying health condition or genetics. Below is a list of common rashes, and the irritant that’s thought to cause them. This is not an exhaustive list but covers many of the most frequently encountered skin rashes.
- Contact dermatitis: Contact dermatitis is an irritation caused by exposure to an irritant or allergen. It results in a red, itchy, scaly rash. Contact dermatitis may be caused by certain chemicals, cleaning products, medications, nickel metal, airborne allergens (such as pollen or dust), personal care products (such as shampoos, deodorants, cosmetics, and soaps), or plants (such as poison ivy).
- Eczema (Atopic dermatitis): Eczema is a chronic condition that causes red, itchy, flaky, and inflamed skin. Eczema is itchier than other skin conditions and usually appears in flares or episodes of increased irritation. Eczema is caused by genetic variation and has no cure. Instead, its symptoms are managed throughout a patient’s life.
- Ringworm: Ringworm is a skin infection caused by a fungus that lives on the cells of your skin. Ringworm is contagious and can be transmitted through contact with other people, animals, objects, or soil. Ringworm causes a red, itchy, and circular rash to appear on the affected area.
- Psoriasis: Psoriasis is a condition that occurs when the immune system overproduces skin cells, causing a buildup of inflamed skin. Psoriasis commonly occurs on the elbows, knees, scalp, lower back, and genitals. The overgrowth of skin cells results in patches - or “plaques - of red, scaly, itchy skin.
- Rosacea: Rosacea is a common condition that causes thick, red skin to develop on the face. It may also result in small, pus-filled bumps on the face. Rosacea is commonly confused with acne breakouts but isn’t caused by poor hygiene or skincare. Instead, rosacea is “triggered” by certain factors like spicy food, alcohol, extreme temperatures, hot beverages, cosmetic products, and stress.
- Hives: Hives, also known as urticaria, is a chronic skin condition commonly caused by an allergic reaction or exposure to an irritant (such as a bug bite or parasites). Hives cause patches of red, swollen skin that can hurt or itch.
If you are experiencing itchy, inflamed skin, talk to a doctor right away. While most cases of skin rash are not medical emergencies, they can be extremely uncomfortable. They may also signify the presence of an underlying medical condition.
Below is a list of common medications used for the treatment of skin rashes, which a doctor or provider can prescribe to you for just $5 through SesameRx.
Note that all prescriptions are at the discretion of your provider.
Treatment for a skin rash will depend on the cause of the irritation. Below is a list of options commonly used for the treatment of skin rash. During your appointment, talk to your provider about what treatment plan is right for you.