What is diagnostic medical imaging?
Diagnostic imaging describes technology that doctors use to see inside your body to diagnose and treat medical conditions. Doctors may order an x-ray, for example, to treat a broken arm, or a mammogram to scan for breast cancer. Here are some of the most common diagnostic medical imaging tools that doctors use to care for their patients.
- Doppler ultrasound: A special type of ultrasound that looks at major blood vessels to evaluate blockages in blood vessels, plaque build-up, or detect any congenital defects.
- X-rays: This process uses ionizing radiation that travels by electromagnetic waves to produce an image.
- Mammograms: These x-ray pictures for the breast detect early signs of breast cancer.
- CT Scan: A mix of computer imaging and x-rays that create a more detailed picture of your tissues, bones, and organs.
- MRI: A machine that uses a computer along with radio waves and magnets to produce a detailed image without the use of ionizing radiation.
Health care marketplaces like Sesame make it easier than ever to speak to licensed doctors in Escondido, CA who can recommend and schedule the diagnostic imaging procedure that is right for you.