What is a gastroenterologist?
A gastroenterologist is a physician who specializes in the management of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and liver. Because of their specialized medical training in gastroenterology, endoscopic procedures led by a gastroenterologist often lead to more accurate detection of polyps and cancer with fewer complications.
The most common conditions, diseases, and disorders diagnosed and treated by gastroenterologists include:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD),
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Celiac disease
- Gallbladder or liver disease
- Acid reflux
- Digestive diseases
- Cancer (gastrointestinal, liver, pancreas, colon, rectal)