What is diagnostic medical imaging?
Diagnostic imaging describes technology that doctors use to see inside your body to diagnose and treat medical conditions. Doctors may order an x-ray, for example, to treat a broken arm, or a mammogram to scan for breast cancer. Here are some of the most common diagnostic medical imaging tools that doctors use to care for their patients.
- Doppler ultrasound: A special type of ultrasound that looks at major blood vessels to evaluate blockages in blood vessels, plaque build-up, or detect any congenital defects.
- X-rays: This process uses ionizing radiation that travels by electromagnetic waves to produce an image.
- Mammograms: These x-ray pictures for the breast detect early signs of breast cancer.
- CT Scan: A mix of computer imaging and x-rays that create a more detailed picture of your tissues, bones, and organs.
- MRI: A machine that uses a computer along with radio waves and magnets to produce a detailed image without the use of ionizing radiation.
Health care marketplaces like Sesame make it easier than ever to speak to licensed doctors in Knik-Fairview, AK who can recommend and schedule the diagnostic imaging procedure that is right for you.