How do I lower my cholesterol?
Several self-care methods to lower your cholesterol are detailed below. During your appointment, talk to your provider about medication and treatment options for high cholesterol.
Lifestyle changes and self-care methods include:
- A healthy diet: Limit your consumption of processed foods, animal fats, and salt. Good fats are okay, but eat them in moderation. Veggies are your friend, as well as fruits and whole grains.
- Exercise: Regular physical activity is part of a healthy lifestyle and may help you prevent and manage high cholesterol.
- Achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Quit smoking.
- Minimize alcohol consumption.
- Manage stress: Meditate, schedule therapy, take time off, spend time with family and loved ones - whatever helps reduce stress and improves your quality of life.