Affordable Mycosis Treatment in Salisbury, MD
Mycosis is the medical term for a fungal infection. These infections occur when a fungal spore is inhaled through the mouth or nose or enters the body through an opening in the skin (such as a cut or wound). Athlete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm are common examples of this type of infection.
Get immediate attention for fungal infections and other illnesses from real, quality doctors when you book a visit through Sesame. In-person and video visits are available today - no insurance required. Book an appointment today.
Video skin consult
Larissa Davis, NP
- Family medicine
- "Dr. Larissa Davis was amazing! She addressed all my issues with patience and professionalism and ordered the lab work that I needed to diagnose my current health condition. I'm looking forward to working with her again."
- $5 MEDS
Mycosis is the medical term for a fungal infection. These infections occur when a fungal spore is inhaled through the mouth or nose or enters the body through an opening in the skin (such as a cut or wound). Common forms of fungal infections of the skin include:
- Athlete’s Foot: The most common fungal skin infection, athlete’s foot is contracted by direct skin contact with a contaminated surface (such as a public bathroom or shower floor). This fungus usually begins to develop on the feet of individuals who get sweaty feet during exercise, who then spread the fungus via the surfaces detailed above. Athlete’s foot usually first appears in between toes and may spread to the entire foot or the hands. The fungus causes itching and peeling.
- Ringworm: Ringworm is not an actual worm, but a fungus that creates a red, ring-shaped rash. Certain strains of fungus that cause the ringworm rash can infect the scalp, causing hair loss. This is especially common in young children.
- Nail infections: Nail fungus can cause the toenail to discolor and break easily. The symptoms of nail fungus are generally mild but can recur chronically. This fungal infection is especially common in older adults, or in individuals who sweat heavily.
- Jock itch: More common in men than women, jock itch is a fungal infection of the groin area. It causes a red, itchy rash, and is especially common in individuals who sweat a lot.
The most common symptoms of a fungal infection include:
- Discoloration of the infected area
- A red rash
- Itchy skin
- Blisters or crusty skin along the outer edges of the rash
Fungal infections can usually be diagnosed through a visual inspection. In some cases, your doctor may ask for a sample of the infection to better determine the exact cause of your rash.
Most instances of a fungal infection are treatable with medication. If you are experiencing a persistent rash, talk to your health care provider as soon as you can. Fungal infections usually require prescription medication to properly treat the condition.
Fungal infections are generally treated with antifungal medication. Below is a list of common treatment options for mycosis. During your appointment, talk to your health care provider about the treatment plan that’s right for you.