Affordable Weight Loss Management in Baltimore, MD
Larissa Davis, NP
- Family medicine
- "Dr. Larissa Davis was amazing! She addressed all my issues with patience and professionalism and ordered the lab work that I needed to diagnose my current health condition. I'm looking forward to working with her again."
- $5 MEDS
About weight loss
Weight loss occurs when your body burns more calories than it takes in. This can result from changes in your diet, exercise regimen, or lifestyle. In many cases, weight loss brought on by these factors is healthy and normal. Unexplained weight loss, however, is the loss of 10 or more pounds or 5 percent of your body fat, over a 6 to 12 month period without a clear cause. Commonly associated causes of unexplained weight loss include:
- Gland-related issues such as overactive or underactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism), Addison’s disease, hypercalcemia, and diabetes.
- Immune issues including Crohn’s disease, celiac disease, and HIV/AIDS.
- Gastrointestinal issues such as ulcerative colitis or peptic ulcers.
- Heart-related diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and heart failure.
- Undiagnosed eating disorders.
- Substance abuse including alcohol and drugs.
- Side effects of medication.
- Dental problems.
- Parkinson’s disease
- Pancreatic swelling.
- Anxiety or depression.
Unexplained weight loss is most common in people 65 years or older, and may be a sign of mild to serious underlying health issues. If you are experiencing sudden or unexplained weight loss, speak with your physician or doctor at your next appointment.
Specific treatment for weight loss depends on your doctor’s diagnosis of the underlying issue. During your appointment, talk to your provider about which treatment plan is right for you.