Counseling services can help with a variety of issues and difficulties related to mental health and emotional well-being. A patient may seek counseling for any number of situations, but some of the major types of counseling include:
- Individual mental health counseling: Mental health counselors deal with patients on an individual basis. They may assist patients with depression, emotional issues, behavioral problems, or stress management. Mental health counselors are licensed professionals that help individuals toward mental wellness through personalized sessions addressing the issues listed above.
- Substance abuse counseling: Substance abuse counselors help patients deal with chemical dependency, substance abuse, and the underlying causes of addictive behavior. Substance abuse counselors may work with individuals or groups in group counseling. A substance abuse counselor may help patients develop coping mechanisms, create goals, and give referrals to support groups.
- Couples counseling/ couples therapy: Counselors working with couples will usually meet with both partners to help with relationship distress. Examples of relationship distress may include a history of domestic violence, communication issues, parenting conflicts, and intimacy problems.
- Group Counseling: Group counseling brings together a group of individuals, usually dealing with a common issue, to discuss, interact, and work together under the supervision of a group counselor. These groups act as support groups, giving individual patients a safe space to work out problems and speak freely. Examples of group counseling examples include academic support groups, individuals coping with divorce or grief, or individuals dealing with substance abuse issues.
- Family therapy/ counseling: Family counseling helps families improve communication and resolve conflicts in the family unit. Family counseling may deal with issues between parents, children, and parents, or the wider family. These counseling services can also help family members deal with mental illness in the family or domestic abuse.
- Career counseling: Career counselors help clients work toward career goals while identifying strengths and areas for growth. Career counseling may help clients deal with stress management, anxiety, and mental wellness in the workplace. These counseling sessions can also help clients determine interests, and personality types to place the individual in a conducive work environment.
Counseling sessions help individuals work through or deal with an issue in their personal, social, or work-life. Counseling is usually centered around a specific issue or need of the patient/ client, unlike therapy which addresses the individual's thoughts, and behavioral patterns.