Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) doctor near me in
About Irritable bowel syndrome
IBS treatment focuses on symptom relief so that you can live as normally as possible. Your doctor might suggest medications such as:
- Pain medications. Pregabalin and gabapentin are two drugs that can help with extreme pain and bloating.
- Fiber supplements. Constipation can be controlled by taking a psyllium supplement with water.
- Laxatives. If fiber doesn't work, your doctor might suggest over-the-counter laxatives such as magnesium hydroxide oral or polyethylene glycol.
- Anti-diarrheal medications. Loperamide, an over-the-counter medicine, can help reduce diarrhea. A bile acid binder such as cholestyramine, colestipol, or colesevelam, may also be prescribed by your doctor.
- Anticholinergic medications. Anticholinergic drugs are used to treat a variety of conditions. Painful bowel spasms can be relieved with medications like dicyclomine. They're sometimes given to patients who have diarrhea problems.
This is not a complete list of medications your doctor may prescribe. Consult with your doctor about what medication is right for you.
Mild indications and symptoms can frequently be managed by reducing stress and implementing dietary and lifestyle adjustments. Make an effort to:
- Avoid meals that make your symptoms worse
- Consume high-fiber meals
- Drink a lot of water
- Exercise regularly
- Get adequate rest