Itchy Skin Appointments in North Lauderdale, FL
Video skin consult
Merlyn Clarke, NP
- Adult health
- "He is fantastic a phenomenal doctor and looked out for me the entire way went over and beyond his expectations to make sure that all of my questions were answered and my needs were met I would recommend him to my entire family if they need it he is an amazing doctor"
- $5 MEDS
About itchy skin
Itchy skin (sometimes known as pruritus) can be uncomfortable and irritating. Any number of factors or irritants can cause itchy skin. In many cases, itching may simply be caused by dry skin, which is common in older adults. Itching may affect a small part of the body, or occur all over. Common symptoms associated with itchy skin include:
- Red, rashlike patches on the skin
- Dry and cracking skin
- Bumps, blisters, or spotting on the skin
- Scaly skin
Common causes of itchy skin include:
- Dry skin
- Eczema (atopic dermatitis)
- Bug bites
- Allergic reactions to soaps, fabrics, and chemicals
- Skin cancer
- Internal disease: conditions such as kidney or liver disease, diabetes, anemia, lymphoma, or thyroid problems can cause itchy, inflamed skin
- Nerve conditions: Diseases such as multiple sclerosis, shingles, or stroke can cause itchy skin
- Anxiety or obsessive-compulsive disorder
Most instances of itchy skin can be relieved with widely available medication and at-home remedies. Specific treatment will depend on the cause of the itching. If you experience chronic itchy skin, talk to a doctor as soon as you can. These symptoms may signify a more serious, underlying health condition.
Below is a list of treatments and therapies used to treat and relieve symptoms of itchy skin. During your appointment, talk to your provider about what treatment plan is best right for you.