Find top-rated pediatricians in Pearland, TX
Know the cost of a pediatrician's visit in your area before you book and pay direct to save. Ideal for those with high-deductible health plans or without insurance.
Best pediatricians near me in Pearland, TX
Dr. Frederick Ogwara, MDPediatric consultation (new patient)3244 Meridiana Parkway #600, Rosharon, TX 77583
- Available today
"Great doctor. Listened to our concerns and showed great empathy and understanding to our issues. Prescribed a similar treatment that our pediatrician would have."
Pediatrics is a branch of medicine that deals explicitly with the diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventative aspects of children’s health. Most children first see a pediatrician within 3-5 days after birth and continue to do so until they are 17-18. Pediatric medicine is technically a subspecialty of primary care–the cornerstone of health care for patients of all ages.
Pediatricians, like other primary care providers, are usually the first point of contact for a patient with the greater health care system. You (and your child) will generally see a pediatrician before seeing any medical specialist.
The most common acute conditions treated by pediatricians include:
- The common cold/ flu
- Sore throat/ strep throat
- Stomach flu (gastroenteritis)
- Ear infections
- Skin infections (like impetigo)
- Conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- Sinus infections
- Bladder infections (UTIs)
Pediatricians have over a decade of education and clinical experience to diagnose and treat various conditions, illnesses, and injuries. A pediatrician won’t just provide acute care for medical issues; they will also monitor a child's development as they grow up.
Pediatrics vs. Family Care
Pediatrics is a form of primary care. The World Health Organization (WHO) defines primary care as “a model of care that supports first-contact, accessible, continuous, comprehensive coordinated person-focused care.” In other words, primary care works directly with the individual patient on their whole health picture. Pediatricians offer this patient-first primary care to children from infancy to adolescence.
Medical services offered by pediatricians include:
- Performing physical exams and wellness check-ups (well visits)
- Giving immunizations (vaccinations) for diseases such as hepatitis B, polio, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), rotavirus, and more
- Conducting speech therapy when appropriate
- Offering guidance for pain management
- Checking for milestones in skills, behavior, and growth
- Working with parents to monitor their child’s development
- Diagnosing and treating diseases, including illness, infection, and injuries
Family care providers also provide primary care, but they do so for all family members regardless of age or gender.
Pediatricians and family care providers offer preventive services such as annual check-ups, vaccinations, screenings for diseases like cancer, and diagnosis and treatment for acute illnesses like colds or flu.
In sum, family care providers offer primary care for all family members, while pediatricians focus their practice on children up through the age of 18.
Pediatricians are primary care providers who offer diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventative medicinal practices for infants, children, and adolescents. Pediatric doctors diagnose and treat thousands of concerns and conditions as primary care providers. Sometimes, a second opinion or specialized care may be needed. If this is the case, your child’s pediatrician will offer a referral to a specialist with advanced training and knowledge in a certain branch of medicine. It is likely that your primary care pediatrician will refer you to a specialist with pediatric training, so they can provide specialized care for your child.
Types of pediatric specialists include:
- Pediatric urgent care: Pediatric urgent care specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of non-emergency medical issues in children
- Neonatology: The care of infants before and after birth
- Developmental & behavioral pediatrics: Care of children with developmental and behavioral disorders
- Child abuse pediatrics: Care of children who may be victims of abuse or neglect
- Pediatric cardiologists: Care for children with heart ailments
- Pediatric endocrinologists: Health care for children with hormonal disorders and disorders of the endocrine system, including diabetes
- Pediatric gastroenterologists: Care for children with gastrointestinal disorders
- Pediatric oncologists: Care for children with cancer
- Pediatric orthopedists: Care for children with musculoskeletal problems
- Pediatric neurologists: Care for children with neurological disorders
- Pediatric nephrologists: Care for children with conditions related to the kidney and urinary tract
- Pediatric pulmonologists: Care for children with conditions related to the lungs and respiratory system
- Pediatric urologists: Care for children with conditions related to the urinary tract and genitals
- Pediatric rheumatologists: Care for children with disorders such as acute arthritis and chronic rheumatoid arthritis
How do I book a pediatric appointment?
Sesame makes finding and booking a pediatric appointment for your child more accessible than ever. You can find in-person and online pediatrician appointments in Pearland, often with same-day availability.
Here’s how to book an appointment:
- Search “Pediatrician” in Sesame’s search bar
- Browse the list of available providers near you
- Choose between video and in-person services
- Pick a time that works best for your schedule
- Book your visit!
Yep, it’s easy. Sesame directly connects you with providers in your area. No insurance networks to worry about. Simply book your visit, pay upfront, and get great care.