What is an online fertility consultation?
An online fertility consult is a virtual telemedicine appointment with a fertility specialist that is conducted via video call. This type of consultation offers the same expert advice and personalized care as an in-person visit, but with the convenience of being online. It's particularly useful for individuals or couples who are seeking advice, guidance or treatment options related to fertility.
During an online fertility consult on Sesame, you can expect to discuss various topics related to your reproductive health, including your medical history, medication history, fertility options and goals, diagnostic tests or procedures, and next steps, such as scheduling an in-person visit for tests or treatments, or a follow-up online consultation.
What can I expect during an online fertility consultation on Sesame?
An online fertility consultation on Sesame will typically include several key components to assess and advise on your fertility concerns. You can expect to discuss the following with your provider:
- Review of medical history: Your provider will go over your medical history, including any previous fertility treatments, surgeries, or underlying health conditions. This also includes discussing menstrual cycle regularity, duration, and any associated symptoms, along with your partner’s health history or medical conditions if applicable
- Discussion of current medications: You'll be asked about any medications or supplements you're currently taking, as some can affect fertility.
- Lifestyle evaluation: Your provider may discuss your lifestyle habits, such as diet, exercise, smoking, alcohol consumption and stress levels, as these can all impact fertility.
- Fertility goal assessment: Your provider will inquire about your fertility goals. This might include how long you've been trying to conceive, any previous pregnancies or miscarriages, and your plans or preferences for treatment.
- Explanation of fertility tests and procedures: Your provider will explain any recommended fertility tests or procedures. This can include blood work, semen analysis, ultrasound examinations, and other diagnostic procedures.
- Treatment options and recommendations: Based on your situation, your provider will discuss potential treatment options. This might range from lifestyle changes or medication to more advanced fertility treatments like Intrauterine Insemination (IUI), In Vitro Fertilization (IVF), or Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI).
During the consultation, you will have the opportunity to ask questions and express any concerns. At the end of your appointment, you should have a clear plan of action, including any next steps, prescriptions, follow-up appointments, or additional tests that need to be scheduled.
How can I prepare for my online fertility consultation?
Preparing for your online fertility consultation can help you make the most out of your appointment. You should be ready to discuss the following:
- Your menstrual cycle (regularity, flow volume, duration, etc.)
- Family history of menopause timing and/or infertility
- Prior infertility treatments, if any
- Prior gynecological history (abnormal PAP smears, STIs, diagnosis or symptoms of PCOS or endometriosis, etc.)
- Intercourse-specific questions (libido, frequency, etc.)
- Medications and supplements you are currently taking, including dosages.
- History of contraceptive use and prior pregnancies, if any.
It can also be extremely helpful to write down any questions or concerns you have about fertility, treatment options, lifestyle changes or the process in general. Having a list will ensure you don't forget to ask something important during the consult!
What kinds of fertility treatments will be discussed?
The fertility treatment options discussed during your consultation will depend on the clinical judgment of your clinician. Your treatment plan may include lifestyle recommendations, a prescription for fertility medication such as clomiphene or Gonadotropins, or a referral for further evaluation or testing.
Can I include my partner in the consultation?
Absolutely! If you’re embarking on your fertility journey with a partner, including them in your consultation can be helpful for a number of reasons. Infertility can affect both partners in a relationship, so having both present can help your provider to gather a complete medical history from both sides.
Including your partner can also provide emotional support and help you both stay informed about treatment options, risks and success rates, which can lead to better decision-making and shared understanding of the journey ahead.
What’s the difference between an online fertility consult and an in-person visit?
Both types of consultations have their advantages and limitations. An online fertility consult can be an excellent starting point for gaining information, initial guidance and discussing concerns. However, for physical examinations and initiating certain types of treatments, an in-person consult is typically necessary. The choice between the two often depends on individual circumstances, preferences and the specific stage of the fertility journey.
How much does an online fertility consult on Sesame cost?
Pricing for online fertility consults on Sesame varies from provider to provider. However, prices on Sesame are often up to 60% less than traditional care because Sesame does not work with insurance. This means that providers are able to offer care without third-party interference (insurance payouts, administration costs, etc.), which keeps pricing low and affordable for all. Case in point: the average cost of a Sesame visit in 2022 was $37.
Can I upload any relevant labs/images prior to my visit?
You bet. To upload relevant labs and images prior to your online fertility consult, simply follow these steps:
- Log in to your Sesame account
- Navigate to Sesamecare.com/account/documents
- Select the patient for whom you’re
- Browse for or drag and drop your file(s)
Please note Sesame's guidelines for upload below:
- Accepted image files: PNG, JPEG, GIF, HEIC
- Accepted document files: PDF, DOC, DOCX
- File size up to 6MB
When should I book an online fertility consult on Sesame?
At Sesame, we are committed to providing patients with the support they need in their fertility journey and are pleased to be able to provide the initial steps from the privacy of a patient’s home via video fertility consult. Sesame’s online fertility consults should be booked if you are seeking advice, guidance or treatment options related to fertility and/or reproductive medicine.
Sesame providers are available for online fertility consults in all 50 states. During the appointment, your clinician will assess your fertility questions and concerns, which may include a lab order for additional blood work or a referral to a specialist if deemed clinically necessary.