Same Day Itchy Skin Appointments Near Me in San Francisco, CA
Video skin consult
Sylvia Udokoro Nwakanma, DNP, FNP-C, PMHNP-BC, APRN
- Family medicine
- "Dr. K was prompt, professional and a problem solver. She's the best. Wish she was my primary physician here! What a great company you have."
- Available tomorrow
- $5 MEDS
About itchy skin
Itchy skin (sometimes known as pruritus) can be uncomfortable and irritating. Any number of factors or irritants can cause itchy skin. In many cases, itching may simply be caused by dry skin, which is common in older adults. Itching may affect a small part of the body, or occur all over. Common symptoms associated with itchy skin include:
- Red, rashlike patches on the skin
- Dry and cracking skin
- Bumps, blisters, or spotting on the skin
- Scaly skin
Common causes of itchy skin include:
- Dry skin
- Eczema (atopic dermatitis)
- Bug bites
- Allergic reactions to soaps, fabrics, and chemicals
- Skin cancer
- Internal disease: conditions such as kidney or liver disease, diabetes, anemia, lymphoma, or thyroid problems can cause itchy, inflamed skin
- Nerve conditions: Diseases such as multiple sclerosis, shingles, or stroke can cause itchy skin
- Anxiety or obsessive-compulsive disorder
Most instances of itchy skin can be relieved with widely available medication and at-home remedies. Specific treatment will depend on the cause of the itching. If you experience chronic itchy skin, talk to a doctor as soon as you can. These symptoms may signify a more serious, underlying health condition.
Below is a list of treatments and therapies used to treat and relieve symptoms of itchy skin. During your appointment, talk to your provider about what treatment plan is best right for you.