Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) doctor near me in Gillette, WY
About irritable bowel syndrome
IBS treatment focuses on symptom relief so that you can live as normally as possible. Your doctor might suggest medications such as:
- Pain medications. Pregabalin and gabapentin are two drugs that can help with extreme pain and bloating.
- Fiber supplements. Constipation can be controlled by taking a psyllium supplement with water.
- Laxatives. If fiber doesn't work, your doctor might suggest over-the-counter laxatives such as magnesium hydroxide oral or polyethylene glycol.
- Anti-diarrheal medications. Loperamide, an over-the-counter medicine, can help reduce diarrhea. A bile acid binder such as cholestyramine, colestipol, or colesevelam, may also be prescribed by your doctor.
- Anticholinergic medications. Anticholinergic drugs are used to treat a variety of conditions. Painful bowel spasms can be relieved with medications like dicyclomine. They're sometimes given to patients who have diarrhea problems.
This is not a complete list of medications your doctor may prescribe. Consult with your doctor about what medication is right for you.